Halftime Reaction: Northwestern falls behind 7-3 in clumsy first half

Claire Hansen, Reporter

No. 23 Northwestern was clumsy, sloppy and slow in the first half as they fell behind 7-3 at halftime.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Clayton Thorson lacked the poise he displayed against Stanford and Eastern Illinois, finishing the half with just 38 yards passing and throwing an early interception Duke was able to capitalize on.

But save for that one, short-field touchdown by Duke, the first half of the matchup was one big punt-fest.

The Wildcats’ offense just couldn’t pick up any momentum in the opening period. After a huge conversion on fourth and inches, the offensive line didn’t hold, resulting in a sack and forcing a punt.

The second quarter started just slightly more promising as the Cats defense forced a handful of three-and-outs, but the offense was also stopped by the Blue Devils on any attempt to move the chains. Particularly disappointing were a series of passes that slipped through fingers or bobbled to the turf.

The defense continually bailed the offense out, with senior defensive end Dean Lowry picking off a screen pass to keep the Blue Devils out of the end zone in the second quarter. The Cats’ lone score of the half came after sophomore safety Godwin Igwebuike forced a fumble to set NU up with great field position for a field goal.

Overall the Cats’ disappointed in the first half, but the defense held to its reputation and NU remains well within striking distance.

Twitter: @clairechansen