Police Blotter: Man arrested after lunging at officer

Julia Jacobs, Summer Editor

A 22-year-old man was arrested Saturday evening after continuing to advance toward a police officer despite warnings to step back.

Police were called to the 1800 block of Lyons Street at about 7:30 p.m. for a disturbance in which the Evanston man was arguing with a woman on the street, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. The man accused the woman of stealing his cell phone, while the woman said he had taken $100 from her, Dugan said.

When an officer attempted to speak with the man, he approached the officer in an “aggressive manner” with his fists clenched, Dugan said. After the officer pushed the man backward to create distance between them, the man lunged forward at the officer, he said.

A second officer then took the man into custody, charging him with aggravated assault to a police officer, a misdemeanor. The man is scheduled to appear Oct. 8 at the Skokie Courthouse, Dugan said.

Woman injures man with soda bottle

An 18-year-old woman was arrested Saturday afternoon in connection with throwing a plastic soda bottle at a man she had been in an argument with.

Police were called for a disturbance at about 2:30 p.m. in the 1900 block of Jackson Avenue, where they found a 63-year-old man in a verbal dispute with the woman and another man, Dugan said. After police broke up the argument, the 63-year-old began walking back into his house. When the man turned around to look back toward the group, he was hit in the lower left eye with the soda bottle, causing a small laceration and bruising, Dugan said.

Officers determined it was the woman who had thrown the bottle and charged her with misdemeanor battery, he said. The woman, a resident of Zion, Illinois, is scheduled to appear Sept. 18 at the Skokie Courthouse.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj