Police Blotter: May 6

Julian Gerez, Reporter

Chicago man arrested in connection with aggravated battery

A Chicago man was arrested in connection with aggravated battery after he allegedly hit someone with a car in Evanston on Sunday, police said.

Officers were dispatched to the 1000 block of Dodge Avenue in connection with a fight and upon arrival saw many people on the street, an individual laying on the ground and a vehicle leaving the scene westbound, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. The witnesses said someone driving a car purposefully ran over the person laying on the ground, Dugan added.

Police stopped the car, an SUV, in the 1100 block of Hartrey Avenue. There were several people in the car and the 20-year-old Chicago man said he was the driver of the vehicle, Dugan said. The man was charged with aggravated battery and his court date has not yet been set, police said.

The man who was struck by the car, a 29-year-old Evanston resident, was taken to the hospital and had injuries to his head, a cut on his hand, a scraped knee and tire marks on his calf, but has since been treated and released, Dugan said.

Traffic light vandalized

Someone vandalized a traffic light in north Evanston before Monday, police said.

The traffic light in the southeast corner of the intersection of Green Bay Road and Lincoln Street was vandalized with “ulest” written in purple marker, Dugan said.

The graffiti was discovered at 3:30 p.m. Monday. Dugan said he did not know what the marking signifies.

Twitter: @JulianEGerez