Police Blotter: April 28

Paige Leskin, Managing Editor

Evanston man charged with aggravated assault

Police arrested a 23-year-old Sunday in connection with pointing a gun at a driver who wanted his parking spot.

Officers responded around 4:50 p.m. Sunday to a dispute over a parking spot in the 800 block of Hinman Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. A 32-year-old Evanston resident told police that a man in a white SUV had pointed a firearm at him, Dugan said.

Police saw a car matching the description leaving the area and stopped it, Dugan said. The driver told officers he had a firearm on his belt, for which he had an Illinois concealed carry license, Dugan said.

Through an investigation, police concluded the 32-year-old was waiting for a parking spot on Hinman Avenue, but the 23-year-old refused to move his car from the spot. When the 32-year-old got out of his car and walked up to the spot, the two men got into a verbal altercation, police said. The 23-year-old pointed his gun at the other man, who then ran back to his car.

Police charged the 23-year-old Evanston resident with misdemeanor aggravated assault, Dugan said. The man is scheduled to appear in court on May 27.

Skokie man arrested in connection with retail theft

Police charged a Skokie resident Saturday with retail theft of an Evanston Best Buy, Dugan said.

The 19-year-old man was arrested at Best Buy, 2301 Howard St., after officers were dispatched there by the store’s loss prevention officer, Dugan said. The employee said the man had taken a cell phone case and another accessory — totaling around $80 — from a shelf, and tried to walk out of the store without paying, Dugan said.

Police charged the 19-year-old with misdemeanor retail theft, Dugan said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin