Former Northwestern football player charged with two felonies for weapons possession

Tyler Pager, Campus Editor

A former Northwestern football player was charged with two felonies in connection with possession of multiple weapons.

Xavier Menifield, 19, was charged with two counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon after an unloaded rifle was found in his car near Ryan Field and a stun gun was found in his Foster-Walker Complex room, police said.

Menifield, a former sophomore running back, is no longer enrolled at NU or a member of the football team. University Registrar Jaci Casazza said he was last enrolled during Winter Quarter.

Police met with Menifield on March 16 after receiving a call from football staff members, University Police Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said. Police found an unloaded rifle and an 18-inch machete in Menifield’s car. The police then searched his residence hall room and found a loaded stun gun, a canister of mace, two four-inch knives and 19 Winchester metric caliber bullets.

Menifield admitted the weapons were his and was subsequently arrested, McAleer said.

Police also charged Menifield with two misdemeanors, one for possession of firearm ammunition without a firearm owners’ ID card and one for possession of brass knuckles.

University spokesman Al Cubbage declined to comment on the specific incident but said guns are not allowed on campus.

Athletic department spokesman Paul Kennedy declined to comment for this story. Menifield appeared in one game during his two years with the football team.

Police noted Menifield had visible injuries on his face March 16, McAleer said. Menifield said he suffered injuries to his head March 13 after falling out of his bed and woke up in a pool of blood. He sought medical attention at Evanston Hospital where the staff determined he suffered fractures to bones under his eye, McAleer said.

“We were not able to determine whether the injury to his head was inflicted by the fall or whether there were other people involved,” McAleer said.

Menifield was released on a $25,000 bond and received permission to leave Evanston, a clerk in the Skokie Courthouse said. He is originally from Valencia, California. His next scheduled court appearance is May 28 at the Skokie Courthouse.

Twitter: @tylerpager