Charli XCX confirmed as Dillo Day performer

Source: Charli XCX on Facebook

Charli XCX will perform at Dillo Day this year, making her the first solo female artist at the festival in recent years. Charli XCX is known for her hit song “Boom Clap” and her collaborations with other artists on “Fancy” and “I Love It.”

Tyler Pager, Campus Editor

Mayfest confirmed Monday that Charli XCX will perform at Dillo Day.

On Sunday night, the group teased a reference to her hit song, “Boom Clap,” on its website, which displayed images representing the track’s opening lyrics and sound clips from the song.

Charli XCX, a British pop star, is also known for her collaborations with singer Iggy Azalea on “Fancy” and with the band Icona Pop on “I Love It.”

Mayfest co-chair Ian Robinson said the artist has been on the group’s radar since this summer.

“She’s an unbelievable pop musician and she’s the first offer we sent out because everyone on Mayfest was hyped,” the Medill senior said. “She was a no-brainer for us.”

Charli XCX’s performance slot is not yet finalized, although she is not the headliner.

The artist will be Dillo Day’s first solo female performer since Regina Spektor in 2010. Last year, some students signed a petition asking Mayfest to bring a “female-bodied artist” to the festival. Cults, one of the bands that performed last year, featured a lead female singer.

Charli XCX is also the first pop artist in many recent years. Steven Goldstein, Mayfest co-director of promotions, said the group worked to diversify the genres of artists.

He added that 22-year-old Charli XCX is one of the younger performers Mayfest has brought to Dillo Day.

“I think that’s definitely going to add a lot to the live set,” the Medill senior said. “You can tell when someone’s young like Chance (the Rapper) last year really resonated with the Northwestern audience. (Charli XCX), from what we can tell, brings a really quirky, energetic and very loose performance that we’re very excited for.”

Dillo Day will take place May 30.

This post was updated March 30 at 12:29 a.m. with additional information and March 30 at 9 p.m. to reflect that Charli XCX is a confirmed performer.

Twitter: @tylerpager