Police arrest Chicago man in connection with Evanston bank robbery

Stephanie Kelly, City Editor

A Chicago man has been arrested in connection with an Evanston bank robbery that occurred Wednesday, the FBI said in a news release.

DeWayne Tucker, 25, was charged with bank robbery Thursday.

At about noon on Wednesday, a man walked into the BMO Harris bank, 1638 Maple Ave. The man handed the teller a note saying he was going to rob the bank and she must cooperate or else he would shoot her, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. Upon receiving money, he fled the scene.

Officers found a man matching the description of the robber by the South Boulevard Chicago Transit Authority stop. When the man saw police, he took off westbound into the neighborhood. After the police set up a perimeter, a woman approached an officer and told police that her residence in the 600 block of Callan Avenue was locked from the inside, indicating that someone was inside, Dugan said. Upon searching the residence, police found the man from the CTA stop hiding inside a bathroom. The man, who was later identified as Tucker, was taken to the Evanston Police Department for further investigation and later turned over to the FBI.

Dugan did not say whether any money was found on his person or how much money was taken from the bank.

Tucker’s next scheduled court appearance is Monday. If convicted, Tucker could face up to 20 years in prison, the FBI said.

This post was updated at 11 a.m. Sunday with additional information.

Email: stephaniekelly2017@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @StephanieKellyM