Best Dessert: Andy’s

Rachel Davison, Assistant A&E Editor

This frozen custard locale is the go-to place for any occasion in need of a sweet and frozen pick-me-up. The menu’s variety will satisfy everyone in a group, with simple and extravagant options including cones, sundaes, concretes, shakes and root beer floats. A treat from Andy’s Frozen Custard, 719 Church St., is the perfect ending to a meal from another Evanston eatery or it can make up for an unsatisfying dining hall dinner. It’s also the place to go for PA group reunions or celebrations of any kind. There is nothing better than going to Andy’s to eat away all your worries about a midterm or to rejoice after handing in a paper. The concretes are so rich — the perfect dessert to share with a friend — making it more affordable and less sinful to indulge in something as great as the James Brownie Funky Jackhammer, which is vanilla custard with peanut butter, brownie and a hot fudge filling in the center.

One can never get bored with the options at Andy’s because of the seasonal and special flavors, as well as the freedom to customize concretes, sundaes and shakes. The Pumpkin Pie Concrete and the Candy Cane Concrete are seasonal favorites that provide festive options beyond peppermint mochas and pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks. Disclaimer: Frozen custard is not thought to be ideal in the winter, but Andy’s is warm enough inside that it is perfectly enjoyable if you wait to leave until you have finished eating. For the adventurous customer, each visit to Andy’s is also an opportunity to experiment with a new combination of toppings in a shake or concrete.

Loyalty is rewarded with Andy’s Yum Squad rewards program. Once registered with a Yum Squad card, each dollar spent earns a point. Once you reach 50 points, you earn a free treat worth up to $5, so repeated visits are definitely beneficial in the long run.

Twitter: @razdav5678