Evanston fire department fields record number of calls in 2014

Ben Schaefer, Assistant City Editor

The Evanston fire department received more calls in 2014 than any previous year with 9,617 calls placed to the department.

The fire department released Tuesday its 2014 annual report that included statistics and performance highlights from last year.

Of the 9,617 calls placed with the fire department, 5,980 were for emergency medical services and 3,637 were for fire responses. The average response time for both was below four minutes, the standard for the National Fire Protection Association, according to the report.

“The men and women of the Evanston Fire Department take great pride in how quickly they respond to our community’s homes and businesses,” Chief Greg Klaiber said in a news release. “Our average response times for 2014 were once again below the four-minute standard set by the National Fire Protection Association, for both fire and emergency medical calls.”

The department saved 98 percent of property involved in the 120 fires put out in 2014. The value of saved property is estimated at $156,401,492.

The department received a rating of 2 from the Insurance Services Office, which places Evanston in the top 1.8 percent of all U.S. fire departments.

The department maintains a full-time professional staff of 110 members, which includes 107 sworn firefighters across all rank and three civilian support members.

Twitter: @BSchaefer27