Three nonprofits receive Evanston Community Foundation grants

Julia Jacobs, Assistant City Editor

The Evanston Community Foundation announced Monday three new capacity-building grant recipients for this year.

The new root2fruit grant recipients include Books & Breakfast, a before-school program that offers students breakfast along with academic assistance; Meals at Home, a meal-delivery service for people who are homebound; and Muse of Fire, a theater company that aims to perform for a widespread local audience, the news release said. The recipients will each receive $10,000.

The root2fruit program was established as a partnership between the Mammel Foundation and ECF to build up small- to mid-size Evanston nonprofits. The program has provided $1.1 million worth of grants to 39 organizations since 2002, according to ECF.

“(ECF) took a chance on us,” said Michael Miro, executive director of Mudlark Theater, a root2fruit alumnus organization, in a news release. “And we blossomed because of it.”

ECF also renewed grants for six additional nonprofits and awarded smaller grants to root2fruit alumni, the news release said. The newly announced nonprofits will be reconsidered for grant renewals in 2016 and 2017.

Correction: An earlier version of this article misstated what kinds of entities receive the program grants. The grants are given to nonprofit organizations. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj