Dining with a splash of green for Chicago Restaurant Week

Madeline Burg, Reporter

Not only does Blackfinn Ameripub keep its regular menu moderately-priced with most entrees at about $15, but it is also the only restaurant participating in this year’s Chicago Restaurant Week that has a Green Restaurant Certification as well as a LEED certified building.

The Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design program, or LEED, is a function of the U.S. Green Building Council dedicated to promoting green buildings and clean energy practices. Any building can try to earn credit for a LEED certification, with different credit systems for different types of buildings, such as schools, hotels, stores, private homes and restaurants.

When Blackfinn Ameripub moved into its River North space, 353 N. Clark Street, the building had already been LEED certified — one of the LEED credit systems is for Building Design and Construction, or BD+C.

“We were asked by the good folks at 353 to move in, actually,” said Christopher Funaro, operations partner at the River North location. “But we do a bunch of stuff to stay green ourselves.”

Blackfinn recycles assiduously, has its own special hood system — a kitchen requirement that reduces emissions from cooking — and also recycles grease, a major energy-saving tactic. All of this has gotten the restaurant its Green Certificate.

Not only does Blackfinn’s eco-friendliness set the restaurant apart, but it’s also known for its contemporary American food. After participating in the event last year, the restaurant is coming back this year with a bigger and better fixed-price menu.

The selection mixes high-end gourmet entrees like Hong Kong-style Chilean sea bass with refreshingly eclectic fairground fare like a soft pretzel starter or funnel fries for dessert. Choose a draft of beer from the extensive array or indulge in one of the restaurant’s signature cocktails, something new this year that Funaro was excited about.

“With a year under our belt, we’re really excited for this year’s menu,” Funaro said.

Email[email protected]
Twitter: @madelineburg