Free coffee, donuts attract crowds to Chicago-area shops

Madeline Burg, Reporter

Doughnuts are trendy, and doughnuts are delicious and — for one week — doughnuts are free.

From Jan. 19-26 you can drop by any of Glazed & Infused’s five Chicago-area locations for free coffee and doughnut holes as part of a store promotion.

The doughnut shop, established in 2012, has already become a mainstay of the Chicago food scene — people who know their doughnuts will rank Glazed & Infused among the top stops for tasty, inventive pastries. With locations ranging from Wicker Park to Streeterville, doughnut connoisseurs as well as casual doughnut dabblers everywhere can satisfy their powdered-sugar-covered urges.

The Glazed & Infused shop in Lincoln Park is nestled directly underneath the Armitage CTA station on the Brown Line, and the incessant rush of trains overhead lends a certain drama to the experience of agonizing over a Hot Chocolate Snowball or a Pina Colada Fritter.

The weeklong promotion, called “Infuse Your Day with #GoGlazed,” is simply a gift to the public in order to drum up business, just one of several promotions Glazed & Infused has had. Through a partnership with local roaster Sparrow Coffee, Glazed & Infused has created its own eponymous roast and is giving out free cups along with three free assorted doughnut holes all day, every day this week.

And business has been booming. Monday evening, the first day of the promotion, the Lincoln Park location was closed well before the end of its regular hours of operation, having sold out of doughnuts.

“Everybody sold out,” said Tatiana Fulgern, a cashier at the Lincoln Park Glazed & Infused. “They sold out of everything. People were disappointed because we made so many doughnut holes and we still sold out.”

All five locations sold out on January 19 — the Lincoln Park location saw lines around the block.

Tuesday morning saw a steady stream of eager customers, including students, couples and several families with young children. Glazed & Infused had only been open for an hour. Employees and customers alike were grinning, surrounded by tiny paper bags filled with doughnut holes.

“It’s been really really busy, insane, crazy!” said Fulgern. “But it’s fun, and the people are excited about it, and I’m excited about it.”

Twitter: @madelineburg