Holiday Guide: Festive Fashion

Emily Chin, Reporter

The holiday season is upon us, bringing with it the chaos of holiday parties. Gift-giving and seeing old friends is fun, but what happens when you look in your wardrobe and realize you have nothing to wear? Whether you’re off to an office holiday party or a get-together with your family, we’ve got you covered.

Black Tie:

Elegant affairs are often the hardest to prepare for—you have to think about hair, makeup, a new dress and jewelry. Also, everyone’s asking: What do they mean by “Black Tie?” For your typical Christmas soiree, you want to wear colors that fit the holiday theme, which typically are reds, greens, golds and black. The next step is deciding what length dress to wear. Long dresses are elegant and make a person look tall, and look especially good when paired with the right jewelry. While any jewelry that’s too conspicuous can be considered tacky, it’s nice to have a little sparkle. Need more inspiration? Just look at what “Gossip Girl” characters wore to their parties.

Cocktail Parties:

Cocktail parties are one step down from the Black Tie. They usually still require a dress, but one that’s not super fancy. Think something that you would wear to a formal or date night. Shorter dresses are definitely preferred for cocktail parties, but if you can pull off a sexy floor-length dress, by all means go for it. If you can’t find anything, a little black dress always works well. Jewelry for cocktail parties tends to be bolder, and statement necklaces are often a great touch. Just make yourself sparkle.

Business:

If you’re out with your coworkers, you don’t want to wear something you would normally wear to the office. How boring can you get? Try for some bolder colors, like red if you’re out at a Christmas party. Also, red is a very flattering color if you’re trying to impress someone. A nice top tucked into a skirt can be a good combination, just make sure you don’t wear anything too revealing.

Family time:

When you’re at home with your family, you aren’t really trying to impress anyone (hopefully). This is the perfect time to pull out that ugly sweater sitting in your closet that’s just waiting to be worn. I would pair it with a pair of jeans or leggings— really anything that you can be comfortable in. For bonus points, get some fuzzy socks and a throw and you’re set for the season.