Senate passes resolution on Ski Trip marijuana policy, allocates B-status funding

Nathan Richards/Daily Senior Staffer

Weinberg senior and Students for Justice Palestine senator Moira Geary speaks on a resolution that denounces the theft of a banner hung by the group. The resolution was passed at Senate on Wednesday.

Olivia Exstrum, Assistant Campus Editor

Two emergency resolutions raised at Senate passed Wednesday night, one challenging Northwestern’s policy on student marijuana use on Ski Trip and one condemning the overnight disappearance of a Students for Justice in Palestine banner.

The banner resolution, proposed in response to the disappearance of a banner about Palestinian displacement in Israel, passed after a lengthy debate.

The marijuana resolution was proposed in response to the University’s ban on using the drug during Ski Trip, despite its legal status for people over 21 in Colorado. The resolution asked for Senate support to challenge the University’s policy.

Weinberg senior Daniel Hurwitz, author of the resolution and president of NU’s Students for Sensible Drug Policy, said banning the drug for students who are legally able to use it in Colorado could result in higher alcohol use, which studies have indicated to be more dangerous than marijuana.

“We believe drug use is an individual right that people should have,” Hurwitz said. “We should do honest education to tell people how to use drugs safely and then reduce harm related to drug use.”

Noah Star, the speaker of the Senate who co-sponsored the resolution, said University administration should be held “accountable” when putting policies in place many students don’t agree with.

“I think it holds students to an unfair and almost patronizing standard,” the Weinberg junior said. “I don’t think that it makes a lot of sense, and I think it’s important as students to say we want a stakehold in this discussion.”

Students also made funding recommendations Wednesday for B-status groups. SJP and NU Relay for Life received additional funding.

A resolution addressing socioeconomic status at NU was also passed. The legislation asks that the University require academic departments and faculty to make textbook and class material prices available before pre-registration. It also recommends NU set a goal of having Pell Grant recipients make up at least 20 percent of the undergraduate population by 2020.

Weinberg senior Erik Zorn, ASG executive vice president, proposed legislation that would transfer the duties of the treasurer, which the executive vice president currently fulfills, to the chief of staff. The bill was passed.

In addition, senators introduced legislation supporting the ASG Executive Board’s decision to ban ground fliering by all ASG committees.

Senate also passed proposals regarding University support of faculty work against Ebola, discussed last week, as well as the creation of a working group that will examine how ASG receives feedback.

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated Senate’s action on legislation regarding ground fliering. The legislation was introduced. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @olivesocean