NU Threads to host clothing drive for winter launch

Emily Chin, Reporter

NU Threads, a student-run communal closet that formed last academic year, is collecting outfits for an anticipated Winter Quarter launch.

The campus closet that lends out formal wear will host a clothing drive on the ground floor of Norris University Center during Family Weekend beginning on Friday.

NU Threads plans to launch its service Jan. 5. The service will be free for students, though those who borrow clothing are expected to pay for dry cleaning themselves.

The group is looking to collect all types of formal wear, from party to business attire, said Weinberg sophomore Jessica Lewis, NU Threads chief marketing officer.

The group currently has 15 full outfits and wants to have one in every size for both men and women.

“The idea is that nobody should be able to come to the closet and say, ‘You don’t have something that will fit me,’” said Pooja Mirchandani, NU Threads president.

The group hosted a clothing drive in the spring and kept a box in Scott Hall throughout the summer, the Weinberg senior said.

Mirchandani said she wanted to hold the upcoming drive during Family Weekend because families can bring in clothes that they don’t want anymore or clothes that don’t fit them.

“For Family Weekend, we’re really hoping to get a lot because these are people who understand why we’re doing this,” she said. “It’s a cause that means a lot to families and students so they’d be willing to help.”

Mirchandani started the initiative after her Sustained Dialogue group discussed the issue that many students can’t afford or don’t have access to a suit.

“We want to alleviate this problem as much as we can,” she said.

Weinberg senior Amina Dreessen, who was also in the Sustained Dialogue group, said she plans on donating some clothes at the drive this weekend and said she hopes it helps low income students find formal wear.

“It’s important to have things like NU Threads because students are recognizing that there are inequalities,” she said. “I’ve been really happy to see this program take off. It’s a testament to the impact Sustained Dialogue can have on this campus.”