Lisa’s reopens with Starbucks menu, extended hours

Sean Su/Daily Senior Staffer

Students spin the wheel for a chance to win free products at a reopening event at Lisa’s Cafe on Wednesday. Lisa’s recently underwent renovations, added to its menu and extended its hours.

Maddie Coe, Reporter

Lisa’s Cafe, a popular North Campus spot for a quick bite to eat, has finally received a makeover.

Located at the south end of Slivka Residential College, Lisa’s now offers a Starbucks menu and will stay open an hour later.

The venue, which offers an array of sandwiches, sushi and refrigerated beverages, has recently undergone renovations. Lisa’s had its grand re-opening Wednesday to celebrate its new upgrades.

“It’s brighter for sure,” Weinberg sophomore Alisha Gomez said. “They changed the color scheme, which I really enjoy. It basically got a facelift. It needed it.”

The cafe now has new furniture, with more seating in the eastern corner. Before the renovations, there were chess tables and a window bench, which have all been removed.

Along with the newly added Starbucks menu and revamped furniture, the closing time has been extended from 2 a.m. to 3 a.m., said Leshea Brown, Northwestern Dining staff member.

“Last year we closed at 2 a.m.,” Brown said. “We would usually have to kick students out. Security would even have to come sometimes.”

Lisa’s is now open from 8 a.m. to 3 a.m. Sunday through Friday and from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. on Saturday.

“I’ve definitely gone there at obscene hours at night because I was hungry … Lisa’s is the perfect place,” Gomez said.

Northwestern Dining also changed late-night dining hours at other campus venues last fall. The University closed the Great Room, which was previously open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. In Fall 2013 Fran’s Cafe, South Campus’ late-night option, closed on Fridays. Previously it was open Fridays until 2 a.m.

Paul Riel, executive director of Residential Services, told The Daily in spring 2013 he hoped to increase the retail hours for Fran’s and Lisa’s.

Medill freshman Austin Siegel, who also lives on South Campus, said a majority of his classes are in Technological Institute and Lisa’s is a perfect solution for when “you’re falling asleep in class and you just need some coffee.”

Students were introduced to the new menu and furniture at the re-opening, which coincides with Homecoming week. At the event, students participated in a raffle to win dining deals. Northwestern Dining staff also handed out free food.

“It’s a place for students to come and try our new menu, as well as show their Homecoming spirit,” said Aisha Hauser, marketing intern for NU Dining.

Twitter: 
@MaddieCoe