Michael Szot appears in court

Lydia Ramsey, Managing Editor

McCormick senior Michael Szot appeared in DuPage County court on Thursday morning for a scheduled status hearing.

In July, Szot was arrested in connection with a car accident in Naperville, Illinois that killed McCormick senior Mihir Boddupalli and Indiana University student Sajaad Syed. At a hearing in August, Szot pleaded not guilty to nine counts of aggravated driving under the influence. He did not change his plea on Thursday.

Szot, who is not currently enrolled at Northwestern, was represented by his attorney at the hearing. Members of his family were also present.

Judge Kathryn Creswell presided over the hearing and confirmed Nov. 5 for his next scheduled court appearance.

The case is in the discovery period, in which both prosecution and defense gather evidence to prepare for the trial, according to the DuPage County website. The evidence includes toxicology reports and witness testimony. The DuPage County coroner released autopsy and toxicology reports for Syed and Boddupalli, which were accessed by The Daily in mid-September. The reports ruled the cause of death for both as drowning.

At the Nov. 5 court date, Szot will again have the opportunity to change his plea.

Ciara McCarthy contributed reporting.

Twitter:
@lydiaramsey125

Previous stories on this topic:

New details emerge in DUI crash
    Szot not enrolled at Northwestern this fall, University says
    Michael Szot pleads not guilty to accident-related charges
    Rising senior Michael Szot released from jail on bond after suspected DUI crash
    Mihirtej Boddupalli remembered by community for kindness, humor
    Preliminary report: Rising McCormick senior Mihirtej Boddupalli died from drowning