Northwestern to offer free online course for alumni

Tyler Pager, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern is offering a free massive open online course this summer exclusively for NU alumni and friends.

The course, Content Strategy for Professionals: Engaging Audiences for Your Organization, will run from June 9 to July 20. It is designed for professionals to better understand audiences and improve communication strategies.

In the winter, NU offered its first content strategy MOOC, which drew interest from more than 21,000 professionals in 141 countries. This edition of the course be available only for NU alumni and other individuals they recommend, including clients, family and friends.

“In this complex information age, forward-thinking people know that if they and their for-profit or non-profit organizations are to thrive, they must master the most demanding communications frontier–creating engaging, strategic, honest stories and information that are valued by their most important audiences,” said John Lavine, the lead professor on the MOOC and the director of Northwestern’s Media Management Center, in a news release. “If they do this, it will make their enterprise stand out.”

The course will be taught by 10 professors, eight from the Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications and two with joint appointments at Medill and the Kellogg School of Management. 

Medill Prof. Candy Lee said the course will give alums better communication strategies.

“We’re offering this free MOOC for you because you are a Northwestern alum and thoughtful about how you communicate,” Lee said in a news release. “Just think about your myriad clients, customers, friends and colleagues who would appreciate knowing how to have far more impact with the information they want to get across.” 

Alumni can register for the course at https://www.coursera.org/signature/voucher/NWALUM.

Editor’s Note: Candy Lee is a member of the board of Students Publishing Company, The Daily’s parent organization.

Twitter: @tylerpager