Northwestern athletic programs’ APR scores place Wildcats among nation’s top schools

Alex Putterman, Sports Editor

Academic Progress Report data released Wednesday indicated impressive classroom performance from Northwestern’s athletic teams.

Ten of NU’s 19 programs posted perfect APR scores of 1,000 over the four-year stretch evaluated, and none came in below 980. Sixteen of 19 teams came in with perfect single-year APR scores for the 2012-13 school year.

APR is an NCAA statistic created to measure schools’ success at keeping players academically eligible and eventually graduating them, with low scores punishable by postseason bans. NU is traditionally among the nation’s highest scoring teams, and this year was no different.

The Wildcats football team posted an average of 991 over the four-year sample, good for second in the nation among Football Bowl Subdivision schools. NU wrestling was one of only four wrestling programs with perfect scores, making it the most impressive of many Cats teams, ranking among national and conference leaders.

Men’s basketball was NU’s lowest-scoring team, with a 980 average, tied for fourth in the Big Ten. Women’s basketball came in next lowest at 984, sixth in the Big Ten.

Last week, 12 NU programs earned public recognition for having APR scores in the top 10 percent of their sport nationally. Tuesday’s announcement provided full APR data for every NCAA varsity program.

Baseball, softball, field hockey, men’s golf, women’s golf, men’s tennis, wrestling, women’s volleyball, women’s swimming and diving and women’s cross-country were perfect over the four-year scoring period.

Full APR data is available on the NCAA’s website.

Twitter: @AlexPutt02