Vines: Let your birthday come twice a year

Katy Vines, Columnist

When is the one time where you are celebrated just for being you? What is the only day out of 365 that you get presents and parties and love from everyone? That one time, that single day, is your birthday. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone was able to experience that more than once a year? Yes! While we should be doing this on a regular basis for our loved ones, we often leave it to just one day out of the year. That is why half-birthdays are so fun and important.

Perhaps one of the best reasons to celebrate half-birthdays is because they provide a way to avoid seasonal problems.  This allows for fun times that might not be had in other times of the year. For example, my little sister’s birthday is February 1. In the 17 years she has been alive, it has always been cold and snowy during her birthday. Because of this, she has never been able to have a birthday party outside. There are so many fun party activities — like pool parties or trips to the zoo or barbecues – that are impossible to do in the winter. Half-birthdays provide an opportunity for people to have the party of their dreams even if their birthdays fall in an unfortunate season.

Conversely, half-birthdays are important for college students with birthdays in the summer who want to celebrate with their friends. For example, some of my sorority sisters’ birthdays fall during Northwestern’s summer break. This means that I won’t get to celebrate with them because we will be in different towns, states or even countries. By celebrating half-birthdays, we are able to show everyone, no matter what season their birthday is in, that we value them by rejoicing with them.

Similarly, half-birthdays ensure that people get the recognition and celebration that they deserve. If your birthday falls on another holiday like Mother’s Day or Christmas or Halloween, other people’s attention is likely to be elsewhere. You didn’t pick your birthday so there is no way to prevent it from falling  on a holiday. Half-birthday celebrations provide people with another day that is all their own. If your birthday is on December 25, your half-birthday on June 25 is totally free for people to focus on just you!

Another reason to celebrate half-birthdays is that they offer an occasion for you to enjoy yourself. Often, as people get older and take on more responsibilities, they can feel guilty about buying things for themselves. I know that once I started college and had sorority dues on top of my usual financial obligations, I stopped purchasing things for myself. I feel guilty spending any money on myself because I know my money should be used for my bills or saved. By celebrating a half-birthday and a regular birthday, I now have two excuses to splurge and buy myself a little something without feeling guilty.

Basically, half-birthdays are a reason to celebrate life and for others to celebrate it with you. It is important to have more than one day to show how grateful you are for your life and for you to see how much others appreciate you. Half-birthdays promote positivity and a love of life. Is there really anything better to celebrate than that?

Katy Vines is a Weinberg freshman. She can be reached at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].