Fitness: BodyPump it up

Chelsea Sherlock, fitness columnist

It usually takes around eight minutes to walk from the Sports Pavilion and Aquatic Center to Kellogg. However, after finishing a combined BodyPump and H.I.I.T. (high-intensity interval training) class, my legs felt like jelly, doubling the time and making me late for my microeconomics class.

Being late was worth it, though, because leaving that class, I felt proud of what I had accomplished and enjoyed the soreness. More importantly, I also enjoyed the total-body workouts. BodyPump uses different tracks of music with each track focusing on a muscle group. It involved a lot of squats, deadlifts and chest presses. The moves alternate between repetitions and holding parts of the moves.

H.I.I.T. made me feel like I was training for the Winter Olympics as a speed skater. There were a lot of side lunges and uses of a medicine ball and weights. The instructor’s focus for this half of the workout was to get us moving quickly and out of breath.

My BodyPump class used a weighted bar, dumbbells, freeweights and a stair step. H.I.I.T. used some weights and a medicine ball.

The instructor for the class, Debbie, was great at explaining things to me as a beginner. For some of the more difficult moves, she demonstrated modified ways to do them, while still having correct form.

Tips for this class:

• It goes really fast, so keep in mind that whatever exercise you are doing will soon be over.
  • Form is key. For the first three to four classes, uses a lower set of weights that allow you to focus on form.
  • Contract your abdominals and your glutes, and keep your shoulders from slumping in. That is what effectively targets the right muscles.
  • If you need to take a break, do so. Especially for the first few classes, it’s important to learn the proper technique and work on building muscle.

Email: chelseasherlock2017@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @musovogr