Evanston celebrates Earth Day, Arbor Day with park cleaning, tree planting

Communication+sophomore+Grace+Hahn%2C+right%2C+picks+up+trash+with+her+friend+Saturday+at+the+Ladd+Arboretum.+The+clean-up+effort+was+held+at+seven+locations+around+town+for+the+city%E2%80%99s+Earth+Day+and+Arbor+Day+Celebration.++

Becca Sanchez/The Daily Northwestern

Communication sophomore Grace Hahn, right, picks up trash with her friend Saturday at the Ladd Arboretum. The clean-up effort was held at seven locations around town for the city’s Earth Day and Arbor Day Celebration.

Becca Sanchez, Reporter

Evanston hosted a three-part Earth Day and Arbor Day event Saturday, holding a city-wide park cleanup, followed by a community tree planting and a celebration.

The park cleanup took place at seven locations throughout Evanston and had more than 100 participants pre-registered.

Communication sophomore Grace Hahn attended the cleanup at the Ladd Arboretum, 2024 McCormick Blvd., with five of her friends.

“I decided to come here because I am very much into the daily things you can do for the environment,” Hahn said. “On a Saturday morning, one and a half hours of your time makes the environment better.”

Evanston resident Dan Schwarz brought his wife and two children to help clean up the arboretum. In total, the arboretum cleanup drew more than 35 participants.

“We’ve been to eco-friendly events in the area and have come here to this event for about the last three years,” Schwarz said. “I like that parents brought their kids. I’m trying to teach the kids the same thing.”

Jim LaRochelle, the arboretum’s cleanup coordinator, said he was “delighted” by the turnout.

“I’ve never seen so many people for a cleanup,” he said. “I didn’t anticipate this many people. It pleases me being an Evanston resident that the city and residents are eco-friendly. It’s a mindset in this town. Even Northwestern, they participate. There is a good working relationship towards Evanston becoming more green and sustainable. It makes me feel good to live in a town like that.”

As a continuation of the Earth Day celebration, participants gathered at the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center to plant a male Ginkgo tree. The winning tree species was one of four options that people voted for online.

Catherine Hurley, the city’s sustainable programs coordinator, said it was the first tree planting Evanston has done in honor of Earth Day, but the city hopes to make it an annual tradition.

The celebration also featured activity booths at the community center, where stalls were set up for children by environmentally conscious companies and the Evanston Ecology Center to promote environmentalism. Hurley estimated about 200 people attended the annual event.

Numerous attendees throughout the day noted Evanston’s environmental initiatives. Lana Hinderson has lived in Evanston for more than 10 years and said she regularly receives emails from the city to participate in events like the Earth Day celebration.

“I thought this was a good opportunity to make a difference in my own micro way,” she said. “I love Evanston. It’s just a matter of me giving back and contributing in any way I can.”

Evanston will host its third annual Green Ball on May 30. The ball is a collaborative social event between the Evanston Environmental Association and the city government to raise money for the Evanston Ecology Center.

Twitter: @danbsanchez