Chicago, Evanston police collaborating to combat violence near Chicago-Evanston border

Julian Gerez/The Daily Northwestern

The Chicago Police Department’s 24th district holds a meeting in Rogers Park Thursday evening. This branch of the CPD is working with Evanston police to reduce violence around the border between the two cities.

Julian Gerez, Assistant City Editor

The Chicago and Evanston police departments have been collaborating in order to combat a recent spike in gun violence, including two fatal shootings this month, near the Chicago-Evanston border, in what Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said is a “very successful partnership.”

Although the departments have often worked together in the past, the two parties are cooperating because of the recent upswing in violent crime in the area.

“There’s a border between Evanston and Chicago. Crime doesn’t abide by that border,” Parrott said. “Criminals travel back and forth and conduct their business on both sides of the streets.

Police discussed the partnership and the recent rise in crime near the Chicago-Evanston border at a Chicago Police Department meeting Thursday, which more than 50 people attended.

The meeting, which was held in the Chicago Math and Science Academy, 7212 N. Clark St., allowed members of the community, specifically those in Chicago’s 24th policing district, which includes Rogers Park, to talk about conditions in the neighborhood and to identify crime and develop possible strategies to combat problems in the district.

Sgt. Robert Kane of the CPD said his department is working closely with Evanston police to help reduce violence and apprehend criminals.

Evanston police are helping by redeploying some of their police officers to Howard Street, which divides Evanston and Chicago, Chicago’s 49th ward Ald. Joe Moore said in a news release.

Early in the morning on April 15, a 16-year-old boy was killed near the Chicago-Evanston border. Nearby, a Chicago man was killed and two others were wounded April 7 when someone fired into a convenience store in the 1600 block of West Howard Street.

(Police questioning 2 after fatal shooting near Chicago Evanston border)

Parrott emphasized the importance of the two departments working closely together.

“We have a long history of working with them on numerous issues from violence to drug sales to quality of life issues,” Parrott said. “It makes us more effective in our job.”

An Evanston police officer was also present at the meeting. Kane said it was important to have a presence from Chicago’s northern neighbor at the meeting.

“Typically we try to have someone from Evanston here because Howard … does neighbor Evanston,” he said. “We’re two cities that work together to combat crime.”

Nearly all of the recent shootings stem from a longstanding gang conflict between two local factions of the Gangster Disciples Gang, Moore said in the news release. In February, gang members participated in a back-and-forth dispute in Evanston involving criminal defacement.

(Gang conflict continues in Evanston)

Citizens were also able to express their concerns, which took up the majority of the meeting.

Twitter: @JGerez_news