Blotter: April 18

Ciara McCarthy, Managing Editor

Man arrested in connection with sexual assault of Evanston woman

Police arrested a Chicago man Tuesday in connection with a criminal sexual assault case that occurred in west Evanston in March.

Sulaimon Adigun sexually assaulted his coworker, a 19-year-old woman, on March 29, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. Both Adigun, 24, and the woman, an Evanston resident, work for the same company in the 2100 block of Dewey Avenue. Adigun made sexual advances toward the woman during their lunch break on March 29, ignoring the woman’s repeated requests to stop, Parrott said. Later that day, Adigun held the woman down and assaulted her in the basement of their company’s building, Parrott said.

Adigun, of the 3500 block of South Cottage Grove Drive in Chicago, was charged with criminal sexual assault, a felony. He is scheduled to appear in court May 1.

Police arrest man after theft from Barnes & Noble

A Chicago man was arrested Tuesday after stealing more than $200 worth of books from Barnes & Noble in downtown Evanston, police said.

The man put about 15 books in a suitcase and activated the store’s security sensors after passing the last point of purchase, where he was stopped by an off-duty police officer, Parrott said. The merchandise was valued at more than $225, Parrott said.

The man, 40, was charged with retail theft and is scheduled to appear in court on May 1.

Email: mccarthy@u.northwestern.edu 
Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara