Blotter: April 17

Julian Gerez, Assistant City Editor

Tires of 19 cars slashed

Nineteen cars in just four blocks in south Evanston had their tires slashed overnight Monday. 

The incidents occurred in a residential area in the 500 and 600 blocks of Judson Avenue, the 400 block of Keeney Street and the 700 block of Hinman Avenue, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. 

Police said there does not appear to be any other damage to the vehicles. Some cars had all four tires punctured or slashed, while others had only one or two tires damaged. All the incidents appear to be related but random because not all cars on the four blocks where the incidents occurred were targeted, and there was no pattern to the type of vehicle damaged, Parrott said. Targeted cars included Toyota, Volkswagen and Jeep models, Parrott said. 

Police said no suspects have yet been identified, and it is not known whether the damage was done by a single person or multiple people.

4 instances of gang-related graffiti discovered within 2 blocks

Four incidents of gang-related graffiti connected to a feud between two rival gangs were discovered in central Evanston on Tuesday morning. 

Three of the instances of graffiti were found on garage doors and a fence in the 1700 block of Dodge Avenue, Parrott said. The other was found less than a block away, on a garage door in the 1700 block of Brown Avenue.

The symbols depicted in the graffiti included symbols and sayings of the Latin Kings street gang, as well as symbols and sayings of the Spanish Gangster Disciples.

Twitter: @JGerez_news