Street Style Inspiration: Bows and polka dots

Kendall Siewert/The Daily Northwestern

Medill freshman Martina Barrera-Hernandez partners a classic button-down shirt with fun polka dots.

Kendall Siewert, Columnist

WHO: Martina Barrera-Hernandez, Medill freshman

WHAT: A white oxford, a navy polka dot skirt, wine-colored tights, brown boots and two golden necklaces

WHERE: The sorority quad

WHY: When I was younger, I had an entire box of bows. There were favorites, of course — the watermelon and the pink checkered one — but I usually didn’t discriminate. All bows were created equal, and they were to be worn daily on top of my head. Not so surprisingly, when I started to dress myself, I still loved to incorporate bows in subtler ways. I was immediately attracted to Martina’s outfit when I saw her gold bow necklace, a small preppy touch that pulls the ensemble together.

THE BREAKDOWN: Martina knows the power of a good basic. This white oxford can go edgy or girly, and when matched with the polka dot skirt it leans more toward the latter. The pattern is large enough to be noticeable but not so overwhelming that it becomes too cutesy. The burgundy tights are a flattering contrast to the navy, and the brown boots are perfect for the transitional winter-to-spring period. Finally, Martina finalizes her outfit with two small accessories — a golden bow necklace and a smaller one above it.

Twitter: @kesiewert