Baseball: Northwestern snaps losing streak in blowout win over Valparaiso

Brian Lee/Daily Senior Staffer

After being inserted into the lineup Tuesday, Luke Dauch made the most of his spot. The junior had four hits and knocked in 2 runs in a 12-5 win.

Alex Putterman, Sports Editor

Northwestern players didn’t care if the opponent was an overmatched team from a smaller conference — they were just happy to win.

The Wildcats (5-22) scored 12 runs in the first five innings Tuesday at Rocky Miller Park to dispatch Valparaiso (11-5) 12-5 and, at least temporarily, halt a season-long skid.

“We kept throwing strikes and making plays and swinging the bat in clutch scenarios,” coach Paul Stevens said. “I liked the attitude and approach we came out with.”

Though the win doesn’t count toward NU’s Big Ten record, it snapped a seven-game losing streak, part of a larger run of 18 losses in 20 games.

Tuesday’s game was never seriously contested. Valparaiso scored a run in the top of the first, but NU countered with 2 in the bottom half, then added at least a pair in each of the next four frames.

Valparaiso didn’t score again until the seventh inning, by which point the score was 12-1 and the game well out of reach. The Crusaders added 2 more runs in the ninth to cut the final deficit to 12-5.

Junior Luke Dauch, leading off as designated hitter, supplied four hits on the day, while scoring 3 runs and batting in 2 more. Dauch had hit only .149 in 49 at-bats entering Tuesday but said he thought he earned some more opportunities with his play against Valparaiso.

“I was seeing the ball well today,” Dauch said. “I squared up a lot of good balls. I felt good up there. I’m seeing the ball well, and hopefully it pays off with some more playing time going forward.”

Stevens shuffled his lineup slightly, inserting Dauch and moving freshman right fielder Matt Hopfner — the team’s leader in most key offensive categories — up to third in the order. Hopfner rewarded the trust with three hits and a scoreless inning on the mound.

He said after the game that even he didn’t expect himself to hit as well as he had.

“I’m just trying to stay positive, stay confident up there,” Hopfner said. “Going through our team, a lot of guys get on base in front of me, so that’s helping a lot with the RBIs. So I’m just trying to put the ball in play and hoping for the best.”

Not wanting to tire any arms for their upcoming series with Iowa this weekend, the Cats used a collection of pitchers for only a few innings at a time. Senior Dan Tyson started, before being relieved by senior Ethan Bramschreiber, followed by sophomore Jake Stolley, seniors Nick Friar and Jack Livingston, Hopfner and senior Jack Quigley.

They got the job done, and the Cats got a spirit-lifting victory.

“Any time you get a win, it’s great,” Dauch said. “Especially any time you put up 12 runs, 16 hits. That’s a great day for everyone on the team.”

Twitter: @AlexPutt02