Baseball: Illinois sweeps low-scoring Northwestern in Evanston

Brian Lee/Daily Senior Staffer

Sophomore Reed Mason hurls a pitch Saturday against Illinois. The left-hander threw nine strong innings but — as was the case all weekend — Northwestern’s offense provided little support. The Wildcats lost the game 6-2 in 10 innings on the way to being swept by the Illini.

Jesse Kramer, Reporter

Northwestern’s homecoming festivities were far from festive.

The Wildcats (4-22, 1-7 Big Ten), who played the season’s first 23 games on the road, returned to Rocky Miller Park on Friday for a three-game series against Illinois (17-11, 5-1).

The Fighting Illini blew out the Cats, 13-0, in the series opener and followed that up Saturday with a 6-2 victory in 10 innings. Illinois completed the sweep Sunday with a 1-0 win.

Altogether, NU mustered just two runs over the course of 28 innings, and its losing streak now sits at seven games.

“We struggle to really play a complete game,” sophomore first baseman Zach Jones said. “Sometimes guys are hitting real well. Sometimes, like this weekend, guys are pitching really well. We’ve just got to be able to come out and consistently have a complete game.”

Junior Brandon Magallones turned in his best performance on the mound of the season on Sunday. The right-hander tossed 7 2/3 innings, allowing just one run on seven hits. He also tallied three strikeouts.

NU wasted a few chances to provide Magallones some much-needed run support. The Cats left two men on base in the first inning. In the sixth inning, they caught a break when Jones reached on an error. With one out, NU’s heart of the order was due up. But the rally ended before it even began, as junior Scott Heelan grounded into a double play.

In the eighth inning, junior Cody Stevens led off with a single and advanced to second base on a sacrifice bunt. But Stevens was picked off, ending NU’s rally.

“You can’t really ask for much more,” Magallones said. “Our guys are trying hard, but (Illinois’) pitcher just threw a great game. It’s rough, but it’s baseball.”

Although the Cats failed to capitalize, coach Paul Stevens said he was still proud of how they fought late in the game.

“They’re not giving up and they’re not sitting there waiting for the bottom to drop out,” Stevens said. “I like the way that they’re competing.”

The Cats received another stellar performance Saturday from sophomore Reed Mason, who dealt nine innings of two-run baseball. Both runs were unearned.

Senior reliever Jack Quigley got the call in extra innings. Quigley, who had allowed just one earned run in 7 2/3 innings pitched entering the weekend, gave up four runs. The Cats were held scoreless in the bottom of the 10th.

“I liked the way Reed Mason was absolutely, positively unbelievable,” Paul Stevens said. “The rest of it, we make some plays behind him, we win the ballgame. I don’t know if I can ask any more of Reed.”

Of the Cats’ six runs allowed Saturday, only two were earned. NU made three errors after committing five miscues Friday. The Cats also struggled to capitalize on situations that could have altered the game’s outcome.

Heelan drew a one-out walk in the bottom of the eighth. Stevens called for senior Jack Livingston to sacrifice bunt to move Heelan into scoring position, but Livingston’s bunt resulted in a fielder’s choice, with Heelan thrown out at second.

“It’s something we’ve got to turn around,” Jones said. “We got two great performances this weekend out of our pitchers, so we need to start giving them some support.”

With a young group, Stevens is still looking for a breakthrough moment. He did not say if he thinks that moment will come this season or next.

“I can’t tell you when it’s going to happen, but I’ll tell you they’re not going to quit or die,” Stevens said. “They are young, but I’m not saying anything about that. They’re baseball players.”

Twitter: @Jesse_Kramer