Smith: SAT reforms level the playing field

Leanna Smith, Columnist

We all took the SAT or ACT to get here. Some people studied on their own, others employed the help of tutors and some relentlessly pored over books and flashcards. The SAT is being revamped for the spring of 2016 to be more practical. Esoteric vocabulary will be eliminated and replaced with words test makers feel are more practical for a university and work setting. The math section will no longer span such a wide breadth of material and will instead go more in-depth on fewer topics. The essay, formerly mandatory, will be optional.

I have come to look at standardized tests as a necessary evil. Though they add to busy students’ already heavy course loads, it is helpful that these tests add an aspect of objectivity to an otherwise largely subjective application process. However, the process of studying for and taking tests like the SAT and ACT is anything but standard. There are students who can barely afford to buy the prep books filled with practice tests, and there are those who shell out upwards of $250/hour for a tutor. Incidentally, these students take the same tests and are graded on the same curves.

There is no “right” way to study for these tests, but surely there is an advantage in access to top-notch test prep. Students without such resources need to put more effort to compete with others who are receiving better preparation. Changes to the new SAT will hopefully level the playing field and improve some of the disparities in test preparation.

Vocabulary focused on practical applications rather than some of the arcane words that appear on today’s SAT will reduce the need for expensive tutors to drill extensively with flashcards and exercises on word roots. Instead, students can gain exposure to more functional vocabulary simply by reading more newspaper and magazine articles. Calculators will not be allowed during some of the math sections in an effort to present the material on the SAT in a way that is geared more toward high school curricula. I have heard of tutors designing special programs for calculators that allow students to plug numbers into formulas and speed through some of the math questions. This is obviously unfair without such resources.

In addition, the penalty for wrong answers will be discontinued. Test prep classes focus on test day strategies, such as how to navigate the wrong answer penalty while still maximizing a student’s chances for a high score. Hopefully, getting rid of the guessing penalty will help lessen the advantage conferred on students with access to SAT classes and tutors. The shift in focus toward material actually learned in school is a move toward a fairer test, designed to accommodate more test takers.

The anticipated changes to the SAT will not completely overhaul the testing industry — tutors and prep classes will adapt to the new sections and guidelines. It will be interesting to see how the changes play a role in college admissions and in students’ decisions to take the SAT or the ACT. However, the testing reforms set to take place hopefully represent a move toward putting the “standard” back in standardized testing so that these exams can more optimally provide the objectivity for which they were designed.

Leanna Smith is a Weinberg sophomore. She can be reached at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].