Panel debunks Evanston myths, including NU as a party school

Ald. Jane Grover (7th) leads a panel in a discussion of Evanston and Northwestern myths at a combined 5th and 7th ward meeting. The on-campus gathering included representatives from the Evanston Police Department, University Archives and the Evanston History Center.

Lan Nguyen/The Daily Northwestern

Lan Nguyen, Reporter

A panel debunked popular Evanston myths on campus on Thursday at a combined 5th and 7th ward meeting.

Associated Student Government hosted the meeting at Louis Hall, which drew in about 30 people, in hopes of highlighting collaboration between the city and the University.

“We’re glad to see some students out here tonight,” said Kevin Harris, vice president of community relations. “It gives students an opportunity to reach out to city representatives, learn more about the city of Evanston and bond with all the community members.”

The meeting featured a six-person panel, led by Ald. Jane Grover (7th), that helped dispel rumors about Northwestern students, Evanston’s history and city laws, among other topics.

Grover discussed NU’s image as a party school, saying “there is a perception in Evanston that Northwestern students are hard partiers.”

She argued against this perception by referencing The Princeton Review’s list of “Top 10 Party Schools in the Country” and University Primetime’s “Top 100 Party Schools of 2014.”  NU was on neither list.

The panelists also discussed laws relating to NU’s party culture, dismissing the myth that the Evanston Police Department frequently issues tickets to partygoers for underage drinking.

“The Evanston Police have a great amount of discretion that we’re allowed to use,” said Officer Scott Sengenberger, a panelist at Thursday’s meeting.

Evanston Police Sgt. Melvin Collier, who attended the meeting, also emphasized that in instances when the EPD issues citations for parties, it is only after an initial warning.

“We go to a party, ask everyone to calm down and leave the location,” Collier said. “But if we have to go back a second or third time, we’re using a lot of city resources and use our authority to give the party hosts citations.”

Collier also said EPD only gives tickets to party hosts, not party guests, for violating noise disturbance regulations.

In addition, Grover discussed the rumor that Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl forced The Keg of Evanston, a popular bar, to shut down in 2013.

Tisdahl revoked the business’ alcohol license for serving alcohol to underage patrons, and the owner chose not to renew the bar’s lease, Grover said.

Panelist Lori Osborne, an archivist at the Evanston History Center, also added some historical background to the meeting when she explained why Central and Main streets were given their names, although they are not located in the geographical center of Evanston.

“Central Street was the center of North Evanston, which used to be its own little town,” Osborne said. “Main Street was the main street of South Evanston.”

The meeting also disproved many rumored laws, including the prohibition of trick-or-treating, pinball machines and skipping.

NU junior Jocie Padgen attended the meeting in hopes of gaining knowledge to improve the Panhellenic community.

“I thought hearing Evanston residents’ perceptions of us is really interesting,” she said. “It’s something we need to be more cognizant of, but it’s unfortunate that we rarely get to hear their perspective.”

Other panelists included NU archivist Kevin Leonard, Shorefront Legacy Center founder Dino Robinson, assistant city manager Marty Lyons and Public Works director Suzette Robinson.

Twitter: @LanNguyen_NU