Pantone’s 2014 Color of the Year: Don’t get Crayola crazy

Elizabeth Santoro, Blogger

Last year, it was emerald green. This year, the color experts at Pantone wanted some radiant orchid. The color was chosen for the confidence, love and health it inspires.

A flowery mix between fuchsia, pink and purple, this color is a variation of Northwestern’s queen purple. Go Cats anybody?

Because we all know how hard it is to work that NU purple, especially in makeup, radiant orchid is an alternative to show school pride and follow the latest trend. This works when it’s used correctly, unlike what happened to me one winter afternoon.

Here’s the story: One day I walked into a beauty store just to look, and the sales assistant pulled me into the chair and started showing off her best products by applying them to my face. I didn’t mind. (Who doesn’t love having their makeup done?) However, once I saw my face in the mirror I did a double take and not in the good way.

She had heavily applied an orchid hue to my cheeks and lips. It looked like balls of purple on my face. This look could work for some, just not me. Once I got back to the dorm, my roommate asked what had happened to my face. I then proceeded to the bathroom to remove the excess color.

So how do you use radiant orchid without becoming a plum? Follow these tips to become that NU-spirited, confident, joyful, loving, healthy and beautiful woman.

The color is great for all skin tones because it can be combined with either cool or warm shades, depending on your skin color. However, be mindful that too much of anything (as in my case) is bad. This color stands out because it’s not a natural hue, therefore, using the color in more than one place could be overkill.

Add this color to your cheekbones or lips. If you apply it to your cheeks, remember to balance it out with a bronzer or natural tint that makes the orchid softer, so you look like a blooming flower instead of a candy wrapper.

For the lips, I would say the opposite. Apply more color to create a stronger shade that pronounces your lips. Then keep the rest of your makeup simple.

If you want more color you can even add a bit of eyeshadow or eyeliner in this color to be more dramatic for those nights out. Just alternate the shades and intensity of the color so it blends together instead of looking like blotches of color.

Another place that I love to see this color used is on nails. Since the color is versatile, it can make even a simple outfit pop.

Remember, Pantone said radiant orchid is the color of the year, but it’s up to you to make it show off your best assets.

To find products of radiant orchard that work for you, Sephora has a whole page for you to browse.