Where Are They Now: Ben Savage

Even if you’ve never heard the name Ben Savage, I can almost guarantee you know the name Cory Matthews. If you haven’t, you had a most unfortunate upbringing. If one show has that taught me anything about life and love, it was “Boy Meets World.” Although I was never a prepubescent boy like Cory, the lessons he learned guided me through the trauma of grade school, and I still have nightmares about the Halloween episode where Shawn is evil.

Savage left the Windy City to begin his childhood acting career. After dabbling in commercials, TV and film as a youngster, he snagged the lead role of “boy” on “Boy Meets World,” which ran from 1993-2000. Shortly thereafter, he studied political science at Stanford University, where he was a member of Sigma Chi.

After graduating, Savage returned to the industry for guest appearances in shows like “Chuck,” “Bones” and “Shake it Up!” Just when we thought he was finally fading from the biz for good, the best thing in the world happened: Girl. Meets. World. Yes, you understood me correctly. Disney Channel is bringing Cory and Topanga back as a married couple with kids.

The show will debut this summer (OMG) and will take place in New York City, where the Matthews couple moved in the last episode of the series. Cory is now a teacher at the school his daughter attends, and I fully expect him to become the new Mr. Feeny. Topanga, on the other hand, is apparently a pudding entrepreneur. Interesting. So, I don’t know about you, but I simply cannot wait to watch this show, which is weird because I started boycotting the station in high school when it got lame. Well played in drawing back those ’90s kids, Disney Channel, well played.

Twitter: @ericawitte

Where Are They Now: Ben Savage