Microwave malfunction starts minor fire in Tech

Rebecca Savransky, Assistant Campus Editor

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Technological Institute was evacuated Monday afternoon after a fire broke out on the second floor of the building.

University spokesman Bob Rowley said students and faculty vacated the building at 2:37 p.m. after several fire alarms were pulled due to heavy smoke spreading in different directions throughout the building. Rowley said Evanston fire department units responded to and quickly extinguished the fire, using fans in an effort to clear out the smoke. The fire departments allowed everyone to reenter at 3:03 p.m.

The fire apparently started due to a microwave oven malfunction and was contained to Room 230, located in the M wing of the building, Rowley said. There was minor damage to the room where the fire occurred, but it was limited to the areas surrounding the microwave and cabinets.

No one was injured, and the building has returned to normal operations, Rowley said.

“I’m glad that nobody was hurt,” Rowley said. “The building is back in business and the fire was a minor one.”

Email: rebeccasavransky2015@u.northwestern.edu 
Twitter: @beccasavransky

Comments