Lacrosse: Northwestern extends Amonte Hiller’s contract to 2021

Kelly Amonte Hiller coaches from the sideline. The coach guided NU to its first win over Maryland in seven years Sunday.
Daily file photo by Melody Song

Kelly Amonte Hiller, who has led Northwestern to seven NCAA championships in its past nine seasons, received a contract extension through the 2021 season, athletic director Jim Phillips announced Tuesday.

Originally hired in 2000, Amonte Hiller boasts a 215-33 record with the Wildcats and has led the team to nine consecutive appearances in the NCAA semifinals. 

Herself a 2012 U.S. Lacrosse Hall of Fame inductee, Amonte Hiller also produced three current Team USA players as well as the country’s Tewaaraton Award winner, given to the national player of the year, five different times.

Beyond Evanston, Amonte Hiller has helped shape the national landscape of women’s college lacrosse. Her influence is far-reaching: Eight of Amonte Hiller’s former players or assistant coaches now head their own Division I women’s lacrosse programs across the country. Amonte Hiller is also one of the founding members of the Big Ten’s women’s lacrosse conference, set to start in the 2015 season. NU, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Maryland and Rutgers will compete in the new conference. 

Amonte Hiller begins her final season in the American Lacrosse Conference with six of seven conference championships under her belt. The No. 4 Cats open their season Feb. 9 in Atlanta against No. 8 Virginia.

Twitter:
@AvaRWallace