Blotter: Feb. 4

Man tails Skokie woman in her car, displays handgun

Police are investigating an incident of aggravated assault from last week.

A Skokie woman was driving north toward Evanston from Chicago on Wednesday when she noticed a vehicle following her closely from behind, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The man tailing the Skokie woman hit her rear bumper. While the two cars were in the 2000 block of Greenleaf Street, the man pulled his car next to the woman’s and pulled out a gun and pointed it at her, Parrott said. The man then drove off.

The woman, 26, was able to provide police with the car’s license plate information, Parrott said. Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

Altercation over stolen salt in south Evanston

A 21-year-old Evanston man repeatedly struck another Evanston man with a plastic shovel Saturday in an attempt to steal a bag of salt, police said.

The 21-year-old was in the 2100 block of Dempster Street at about 1:30 p.m. on Saturday when he got into a physical altercation with another Evanston resident who was in his 50s, Parrott said. The 21-year-old repeatedly struck the older man with a plastic shovel but was stopped when two witnesses intervened, he added. The man then took a large bag of salt from the man’s truck. The 21-year-old and two companions fled the scene on foot but were stopped by police shortly after, in the 1300 block of Hartrey Avenue. The group returned to Dempster Street with police and resolved the dispute with the man.

None of the individuals involved are pressing charges.

Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara