Evanston speedskater to compete in Sochi Olympics

Evanston-born speedskater Brian Hansen will be among 230 athletes walking under the star-spangled banner on Friday to kick off the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.

Hansen, 23, was born in Evanston and grew up in Glenview, Ill. According to his personal website, he was originally a hockey player but began speed skating when he was 10 years old, training at Northbrook Speed Skating Club. Brian attended Glenbrook South High School in Glenview. During his sophomore year, he began to dedicate more and more time to skating, training at a facility in Milwaukee that his parents drove him to after school.

Upon graduating, Hansen began training for the Olympic trials for the 2010 games in Vancouver. During his training, Hansen suffered a lower back injury, but he recovered and qualified for the Men’s 1500 meter and Team Pursuit events in the Olympic trials. Then 19, Brian went on to win a silver medal in the Team Pursuit in Vancouver with teammates Jonathan Kuck, Chad Hedrick and Trevor Marsicano.

Shortly after the 2010 games, Hansen went on to win the 1000 and 1500 meters at the World Junior Championships in Russia. Hansen later competed in Salt Lake City in the World Cup in 2013, winning bronze in the 1500 meters and in the Team Pursuit, and gold in the 1000 meters.

“Brian was really happy with these results because it was the first time he won three medals at one World Cup,” said Heather Novickis, Hansen’s agent.

Currently ranked No. 10 in the world, Hansen is scheduled to compete in the 500 meter, 1000 meter, 1500 meter and Team Pursuit events in Sochi.

Hansen currently lives in Milwaukee and began his freshman year at Marquette University in the fall.

Twitter: @_jackcorrigan