Season 14 ‘Biggest Loser’ winner opens Evanston yoga studio

Danni Allen, winner of season 14 of “The Biggest Loser,” has opened a yoga studio in Evanston called ONE 2 ONE. The studio’s name is a reference to the 121 pounds Allen lost on the show.
Source: NBC

After Danni Allen’s dad became sick, she spent his birthday in the hospital with him and decided to make a change: She was going to start losing weight.

That pledge led her to season 14 of “The Biggest Loser” which aired last year. She was the season’s winner, after losing 121 pounds. Her newfound knowledge about body-weight training prompted her to open ONE 2 ONE Yoga — a nod to the weight she lost — in December at 2901 Central St. 

Allen said she learned about yoga on the show from trainer Jillian Michaels. Michaels taught her about body-weight training, or exercising one’s body without using weights, she said.

“A lot of it is about yoga. I realized it is something I want to do all the time and also bring to my community,” Allen said. “We can help you discover more about your body … and I have a place I can call home.”

Since the show ended in March, Allen has participated in several races, culminating with the Chicago Marathon in October. She has also had opportunities to travel and do motivational speaking around the country.

“What keeps me motivated is setting a goal beyond every goal,” she said.

The Clemson University graduate collaborated with her business partner, Marcus Lemonis, in December to open the 1500-square-foot yoga studio, which shares a building with Rose’s Cafe and Bakery. Lemonis also owns the bakery, which is known for its gluten-free goods.

Allen said she chose Evanston for her yoga studio because the community prioritizes personal health. The 27-year-old, who currently lives in Wheeling, Ill., hopes to move to Evanston in April.

“I found Evanston was a really progressive community that was eating right and exercising,” she said.

Prior to winning the competition, Allen worked as an advertising coordinator for an RV and camping supplies company. 

On “The Biggest Loser,” she also discovered the importance of answering the question of why. She learned why she had put on the weight and why she wanted to lose the weight through being a contestant.

“What I really learned when it comes to weight control and maintenance is it really comes down to eating right and exercising, but it’s not that easy to do when you don’t have the mental strength,” Allen said. “When you can finally answer the question why, you can finally have the mental strength. That’s what the show gave me: the mental strength to keep going.”

Twitter: @jennifercball