Women’s Swimming: Northwestern’s senior meet finishes with narrow loss

Northwestern’s senior meet Saturday was bittersweet, as the Wildcats lost by ten points to the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Coach Jimmy Tierney said his team swam well, but it was unfortunate the seniors didn’t get a victory on their special day.

Sophomore Julianne Kurke, senior Becca Soderholm and freshman Ellen Stello still put up great times, Tierney said. Kurke won both her breaststroke events, with Solderholm and Stello speeding through their butterfly events.

This is not Northwestern’s last chance to beat Iowa, Tierney added.

“The (Shamrock) Invitational will be scored as a dual meet, so we have a chance to get back in the pool and win,” Tierney said.

Junior Madeleine Klichowski said Saturday’s meet showed areas where the team could improve. More than anything the meet was about the seniors, she emphasized.

“Today was a big culmination of senior week,” she said. “Every race, every action was for the seniors.”

The backstroker said winning every meet isn’t important, and she hopes NU will come back strong at the Shamrock.

Diver Caroline Grant said though it was difficult to watch the women’s swim team fall just short, the diving team excelled.

Senior diver Mary Kate Campbell scored a remarkable lifetime best for her 3-meter dive, and Grant got a season-high score in her 1-meter event.

Grant said the swimmers and divers fed off one another’s positive energy and helped the team keep their excitement level up throughout the meet.

The diver also said the Shamrock Invitational will offer an opportunity to get pumped up and focused without the extreme pressure of the Big Tens.

Sophomore Emily Launer expressed a similar feeling and added the invitational is also a chance for the Cats to measure their improvement. The event will give the team opportunities to avenge close loses against Notre Dame and Iowa, she said.

The freestyler said the NU’s morale was higher than ever, even after the day’s loss.

“We’re going to fight,” Launer said.

Twitter: @kendra_mayer