Blotter: Jan. 23

Ciara McCarthy, City Editor

Chicago man arrested after Tommy Nevin’s dispute

Police arrested a Chicago man Saturday morning following a dispute at Tommy Nevin’s Pub in downtown Evanston.

An Evanston man was waiting to play pool at the bar, 1450 Sherman Ave., at about 1 a.m. Saturday. He was discussing the bar’s upcoming pool game when the Chicago man punched him in the face, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. Customers broke up the dispute and called police. The Evanston man did not require medical attention.

Police arrested the Chicago man and charged him with battery. He is scheduled to appear in court Feb. 24.

Employee of children’s center arrested in connection with battery of teen

Officers arrested an employee of a local children’s center Monday in connection with the battery of a 13-year-old teen at the center.

A 13-year-old resident of the Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Child + Family Center reported to family members that she had been the victim of battery by an employee, Parrott said. She said the incident had taken place on Oct. 22. The teen’s family reported the case to the Illinois Department of Children & Family Services in November, and DCFS in turn transferred the case to the EPD. An EPD detective investigated the case and arrested the employee Jan. 20, Parrott said. The employee is scheduled to appear in court Feb. 3.

Email: mccarthy@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara

About the Writer
Ciara McCarthy, In Focus Editor

Ciara is a Weinberg senior majoring in American Studies. Her past positions at The Daily include editor in chief, managing editor, city editor and reporter. The Bethesda, Maryland native is also a Brady Scholar in Ethics and Civic Life. She previously interned for Slate and The Marshall Project. You can reach Ciara via Twitter or email.