ASG lends support for the expansion of shuttle services

Sean Hong/Daily Senior Staffer
Northwestern Dean of Students Todd Adams speaks Wednesday night during ASG’s third Senate meeting at Norris. At the meeting, Senate lent its support to a proposal for increased shuttle services and allocated money to Mega Shabbat.

The Associated Student Government passed a proposal Wednesday pledging its support to increase funding for campus shuttle services. 

The faculty senate is currently communicating with University Services to encourage the administration to have shuttles better serve the undergraduate student body, said Haley Hinkle, ASG’s student life director of transportation.

“University Services said if we could demonstrate student body support for these services, that would help them because they have the support of the faculty senate as well,” the Medill sophomore told The Daily after the meeting. “Now that ASG has passed it, it shows that we have student body support for that.”

Currently, only the Intercampus and Ryan Field shuttles operate during the daytime and are intended for staff and faculty, said Weinberg freshman Isaac Rappoport, a senator for Residential College Board.

When ASG approached University Services to alter shuttle times, the department was initially unable to change the schedules to align more closely with undergraduate class times, which would have them running 20 minutes and 50 minutes after every hour, Hinkle said.

“They said that while the Ryan Field and Intercampus shuttles aren’t really meant for undergraduates and aren’t going to be scheduled for undergraduates, they could use ASG’s support to help them get more funding in their budget,” Hinkle said.

ASG voted immediately to support the proposal, which lends the organization’s backing to increase service. The University will review the plan and will potentially take action during the 2015 fiscal year.

Dean of Students Todd Adams also spoke at the meeting to encourage ASG members to review NU’s new sexual assault policy, which will be put into place March 7. Adams said after 10 to 11 months of planning and drafting, the policy is now more comprehensive. He said he hopes it will start discussion on sexual assault, consent and dating, and domestic violence among students and faculty.

“Facilitate conversations amongst yourselves,” Adams said. “We’re too scared to do that around here. We’re like that here with a lot of things, and if I can give you license and freedom to do it, please do.”

Adams said this is one of the few policies that applies to the entire university and was written clearly and concisely to encourage student reading and discussion. The section clearly defining consent is one of the most important parts of the policy, Adams said.

The Senate also discussed contributing funds from the Senate Project Pool to Mega Shabbat, a campus-wide Shabbat dinner that encourages students of different backgrounds to come together.

“The event will go on without funding, but we think it’s important that we see the backing of students from all backgrounds,” said Mia Jacobson, a Communication sophomore and Mega Shabbat spokeswoman.

The Senate passed an amended proposal to contribute $150 instead of the originally requested $200 to show their recognition for the organization.

Funds were also requested from the Project Pool for events during Discover Islam Week, held by the Muslim-cultural Student Association, and for Polish Culture Night, sponsored by the Polish-American Student Alliance. These events will be voted on at the next meeting on Jan. 29.

Twitter: @beccasavransky