The Golden Globes bring the insanity, hinting at who might win an Oscar

Source: Facebook

On Sunday, the Golden Globes kicked off the start of the 2014 awards season, or as I like to call it, the time when I get angry because my favorites never win. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler once again kicked ass and proved the Globes are clearly the craziest of the shows. I love the Globes not only for the insanity that can happen (like Emma Thompson downing a martini and throwing her shoes on stage) but also for the Oscar indications.

In terms of television, “Breaking Bad” finally got the recognition it deserves. The show had never won a Golden Globe before, but Bryan Cranston won “Best Actor in a Television Drama Series,” and the show won “Best Television Drama.” However, the highlight had to be Aaron Paul yelling, “Yeah bitch!” to end the acceptance speech. He’s got limited time left when it’s socially acceptable to do so, so he better take advantage of it.

Amy Poehler, in her sixth season of “Parks and Recreation,” earned a Golden Globe for her role as the zealous government employee Leslie Knope. And Emilia Clarke presented the award to Amy, so the fangirl in me naturally died. “Parks and Rec” did not take home the trophy for best TV musical or comedy, but newcomer “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” beat out veterans “The Big Bang Theory” and “Modern Family” (finally!!!!). No love for “Modern Family” this year — probably because the show has turned into the offensive stereotypes it used to parody.

Also, the curse has been broken. Leonardo DiCaprio won an award for something, much to the Internet’s delight. Our boy Leo took home the Globe for “Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy” for his role in “The Wolf of Wall Street.” However, I’d argue that Leo is now desperately seeking an Oscar before his glory days expire.

David O. Russell’s film, “American Hustle,” is clearly gunning for the Oscars, as he brought back much of the same cast as in his award-winning film “Silver Linings Playbook.” The Academy loved “Silver Linings,” especially America’s sweetheart Jennifer Lawrence. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association gave her the award for “Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture” prompting indignation among many who believed the award should have gone to Lupita Nyong’o for her role in “12 Years a Slave.” I’m predicting Lawrence will win an Oscar again this year; the Academy adores her. It seems that our beloved J-Law can do no wrong, even when she’s wearing a dress that looks like the Little Mermaid’s sail outfit. Her “American Hustle” co-star Amy Adams also took home a definitely deserved award for “Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy” and will be nominated for an Oscar for sure.

The Golden Globes split their film awards into two categories, which makes it a little more difficult to predict the Oscar nominations. “12 Years a Slave” won “Best Motion Picture – Drama” and “American Hustle” won “Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy” will come down to these two. However, we can’t ignore other Oscar-bait movies like “Gravity” and “Philomena.” Also, Spike Jonze’s film “Her” earned a lot of praise late in the season and even took home the Globe for “Best Screenplay – Motion Picture.” Honestly, I’m pulling for “American Hustle.” What can I say, I love me some J-Law.

Twitter: @MollieCahillane