College news site ranks Dillo Day among ‘Greatest College Traditions’

Students brave the rain during Dillo Day in 2011. Campus Grotto recently put Dillo Day on its list of 100 Greatest College Traditions.
Daily file photo by Jim An

The national college news website Campus Grotto listed Dillo Day as number 26 in its recent list of 100 Greatest College Traditions. 

In a post published in late December, the site noted Dillo Day’s high profile musical acts and Mayfest’s Battle of the Bands competition.

Events from other Midwest Big Ten schools topped the list. Indiana University’s Little 500 bike race and the University of Wisconsin’s Mifflin Street Block Party placed in the first two spots.

This is not the first time Dillo Day has received local and regional attention. Chicago Magazine listed the music festival in a May 31 post titled “Here are Five Things You Should Do in Chicago this Weekend.” The real estate blog Motovo listed it as number four in its “21 Reasons You Need to Move to Evanston.” NextGen Journal also gave it a nod in its list of college music festivals.

Mayfest spokeswoman Bri Hightower said the organization was excited about the national recognition.

“I know one of the things Mayfest really really prides itself on is that we’re a memory that every Northwestern student will have some sort of association with no matter how far out they are,” she said. “That’s a lasting Northwestern impression that we want to help create.”

Twitter: @allymutnick