Letter from the Editor: Transitioning to a new comment system

Paulina Firozi, Editor In Chief

Readers,

With the new year, The Daily has decided to make a change. Starting now, readers who would like to make comments on our site must sign in with a Facebook account. The change is meant to promote transparent, productive conversation on articles, columns, letters to the editor and editorials and to avoid anonymous commenters or individuals who impersonate others. We want discussion on our website to be civil, factual and relevant to what we’re publishing.

This is not meant to discourage discourse or the expression of opinions, but instead to encourage a higher quality of conversation. Online forums, which have a tendency to assume anonymity, can be strengthened when identities are known.

We hope that a full name and registered Facebook account with comments will achieve that goal. Please also know that your name, photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook, such as your network, will appear with your comment.

In the past, The Daily’s reasons for removing comments have not always been as transparent as needed, so we have outlined a new comprehensive and detailed comment policy here. As always, we will continue to value reader engagement; we encourage your opinion and feedback, we encourage constructive criticism and we encourage tips and corrections.

Feel free to email us with corrections at web@dailynorthwestern.com. Send news tips to campus@dailynorthwestern.com or city@dailynorthwestern.com. Send letters to the editor or guest columns to opinion@dailynorthwestern.com. If you have any further questions or concerns, email me at eic@dailynorthwestern.com.

Email: pf@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @paulina_milla

About the Writer
Paulina Firozi, Editor in Chief

Paulina Firozi was The Daily's editor in chief Winter Quarter 2014 and Spring Quarter 2014. She is a Medill senior. Her past positions at The Daily include...