Updated: Northwestern cancels Monday and Tuesday classes, closes University offices and libraries

Updated, 2:40 p.m. Monday:

Northwestern will remain closed Tuesday, the University announced Monday afternoon.

Citing forecasts of dangerous weather from the National Weather Service, NU released an emergency alert announcing the continued closure. Tuesday classes are cancelled and offices and libraries on the Evanston and Chicago campuses will remain closed.

NU expects to be open Wednesday, the alert said.

Classes scheduled for Monday and Tuesday “will not be rescheduled en masse,” University registrar Jaci Casazza said in an email to students.

“Faculty may decide in consultation with their deans’ offices whether to reschedule and when,” Casazza wrote. “Your instructors will let you know about their plans.”

Original story:

Northwestern has canceled its planned classes for Monday, scheduled to be the first day of Winter Quarter.

With the National Weather Service forecasting temperatures below minus 10 degrees, classes are canceled due to winter weather for the first time since February 2011. Libraries and offices on the Chicago and Evanston campuses will also be closed.

NU’s emergency alert said the University will decide Monday whether to cancel Tuesday classes.

Sargent Hall and Allison Hall will serve as warming centers for students, staff and faculty on campus. Norris University Center will close at 8 p.m. Sunday and will not be open Monday. The Intercampus, Ryan Field, Frostbite Express and Frostbite Sheridan shuttles will not be in service Monday. The Evanston Loop and Campus Loop shuttles will run Sunday and Monday nights.

Chicago schools DePaul University and the University of Chicago have also cancelled classes scheduled for Monday, along with Evanston/Skokie School District 65 schools and Evanston Township High School.

— Joseph Diebold