Updated: Zion, Ill., man charged in Floyd Gibert slaying, ordered held without without bail

A Zion, Ill., man was charged Thursday evening with fatally shooting 30-year-old Floyd Gibert, according to police.

Dominic Connerly, 22, was ordered held without bail Friday, according to Cook County sheriff’s office records. He is accused of shooting Gibert, of the 2000 block of Ashland Avenue, on Saturday evening in west Evanston.

Connerly, of the 2000 block of Jethro Avenue, once lived in Evanston and was on parole when the shooting happened, according to police.

Police said they believe the shooting stemmed from an “on-going dispute between two rival groups that was fueled by some social media postings.”

Gibert was shot at about 6:20 p.m. in the 2000 block of Darrow Avenue, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said at the time.

Gibert was taken to Evanston Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at at 7:30 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. He died from a gunshot wound to the chest, and his death was ruled a homicide.

Parrott said Thursday evening police had a person of interest in custody and were questioning him.

Connerly has been charged with first-degree murder. He is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 31.

— Patrick Svitek