ASG Senate approves more than $160K for A-status student groups

+Associated+Student+Government+senators+listen+to+discussion+of+A-status+funding+for+various+student+groups+at+Wednesday+night%E2%80%99s+Senate+meeting.+More+than+%24160%2C000+in+supplementary+funding+was+approved+at+the+meeting.+%0D%0A
Back to Article
Back to Article

Associated Student Government senators listen to discussion of A-status funding for various student groups at Wednesday night’s Senate meeting. More than $160,000 in supplementary funding was approved at the meeting.

Sarah Nelson/Daily Senior Staffer

Sarah Nelson/Daily Senior Staffer

Sarah Nelson/Daily Senior Staffer

Sophia Bollag and Tyler Pager

Associated Student Government Senate approved more than $160,000 in funding for A-status student groups at its meeting Wednesday.

Mayfest, the group that puts on Dillo Day, received roughly half of the $161,510.83 Senate approved for all 22 groups and partnerships that applied for A-status supplementary funding.

Nearly all the money approved was consistent with the recommendations made by the Student Activities Finance Committee, which suggests how much money Senate should allocate to A-status groups.

However, Senate approved an additional $500 beyond the SAFC recommendation for CaribNation, Northwestern’s Caribbean student alliance.  The group will use the additional money for its annual spring event CaribFest, which celebrates Caribbean culture. Sarah Brown, who spoke on behalf of the group at Senate, said it plans to use the money to hire a better-known performer than it has been able to secure in the past.

“Most of the artists we’ve had in the past are not really known,” the Weinberg junior said. “We want to bring an artist that people outside of Caribbean culture know.”

Senators also heard a presentation on relief efforts for victims of Typhoon Haiyan from representatives of Kaibigan, a student group dedicated to promoting Filipino culture. The group recently launched a fundraising campaign, Hope After Haiyan, to provide support for recovery after the superstorm. According to the latest reports, the Nov. 8 typhoon killed almost 4,000 and has affected more than 13 million people.

“We really wanted to come up with a way to respond to this and raise funds to support direct relief for the victims in the affected areas of the Philippines,” said Weinberg junior Augustine Santillan, a general member of Kaibigan.

The group is working with five other student organizations and has already raised more than $3,500, which will be donated to Catholic Relief Services. CRS provides aid to all victims of the typhoon, regardless of religious affiliation.

Senate in brief:

• approved more than $160,000 in supplementary funding for A-status student groups
  • heard a presentation on efforts to provide relief for victims of Typhoon Haiyan
  • launched the 2013-14 edition of the 10K Initiative
  • approved $150 to bring therapy dogs to Norris University Center the day before finals start as a Relay for Life fundraiser
  • heard a presentation from College Republicans on the group’s Freedom Week programming
  • elected six members to a new working group tasked with looking into student groups’ use of resources
  • introduced a bill that would subsidize a new boat for the Crew Team

Correction: A previous version of this article misidentified the campaign raising funds for recovery efforts in the Philippines in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan. The campaign is called Hope After Haiyan. The article also incorrectly stated Augustine Santillan’s title within Kaibigan. He is a general member. The Daily regrets the errors./em>

Email: sophiabollag2016@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @SophiaBollag

Email: tylerpager2017@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @tylerpager