Street Style: Wardrobe staples

There are just some pieces of clothing every girl should have in her closet. Here are my top picks — get shopping.

The Perfect Pair of Jeans

Find the pair of pants you can throw on any day of the week and know will look and feel amazing. I’d recommend a straight or skinny leg, dark-wash, mid-rise jean, but it’s up to you and your personal preference and style.

The Blazer

A simple black blazer is a must for every wardrobe. It can be dressed up or down and, depending on how you accessorize, can fit almost any girl’s style, be it flirty, sporty or laid back.

Comfortable Dressy Shoes

Wedges, stilettos, kitten heels, flats — take your pick, as long as you have one pair you can wear to any and all formal occasions and that doesn’t leave you incapable of walking the next day.

An Oversized Sweater

Go to the nearest thrift shop, float over to the men’s sweater section and go HAM. There’s nothing better than a cup of hot chocolate and a book on a lazy day, and that perfect day calls for an oversized sweater and leggings. Trust me — you’ll never want to take this perfect sweater off.

High-Waisted Shorts

Some of you might be thinking high-waisted shorts are totally not your style, but you should think again. For some, yes, the classic mom-jean cutoffs circa 1990 don’t really fit in their wardrobes, but high-waisted shorts have evolved since the days when people wore flannel over everything. Look for a pair of studded high-waisted shorts or maybe some in a bold fabric or print. Check out high-waisted jeans that aren’t jeans — so flowy they could pass as skirts.

A Period Piece

Talking about the 90s reminded me of the last staple every girl should have: something vintage (or at least vintage inspired). Try a flapper-style dress with a drop waist, a long row of pearls and a super fringe for the ’20s. Go mod with solids, stripes and dots for the ’60s. Think about a retro bathing suit, like the ones Taylor Swift wears, or invest in a full-length skirt. Check out bell bottoms, daisy crowns and thin scarves for the ’70s. Buy bright neons, too much animal print and leg warmers for the ’80s. And of course, buy high-waisted, destroyed jeans, flannel button-downs and ridiculous patterns for the ’90s.

Whatever you end up having in your closet is perfect, as long as you feel great wearing it. Because when it comes down to it, confidence is the most important accessory a girl can have.

Alix Kramer

Street Style: Wardrobe staples