Storm brings minimal damage to Evanston, officials say

Evanston escaped the brunt of a Sunday afternoon storm that brought fatal tornadoes to other parts of Illinois.

At one point, the National Weather Service put the Evanston area under several advisories: severe thunderstorm, tornado watch, flash flood and high wind warnings. The first two were called off before 2 p.m.

A few storm drains were blocked in Evanston, city officials said. Despite caution that winds could gust to 60 mph, only small tree limbs were found.

Street cleaning will start 2 a.m. Monday to remove leaves from major roadways, according to the officials.

Residents were asked to forward issues to the police department’s non-emergency phone line because the city’s 311 service does not operate on Sundays.

Although University spokesman Al Cubbage said he was not aware of any storm damage on campus, a leak in Welsh-Ryan Arena affected Northwestern’s volleyball game against Indiana. 

Facility staff mopped the floor between points from the second set through the rest of the match.

“You can’t control that stuff and you just have to play through it,” NU coach Keylor Chan said.

Away from Evanston, several tornadoes were spotted in towns in Tazewell and Washington counties, including Pekin, the hometown of men’s basketball player Nate Taphorn. His family was not affected, the team tweeted Sunday.

Photos of a double rainbow in Evanston were shared on social media at about 2 p.m., before high winds hissed through the city again two hours later.

David Lee contributed reporting.

— Manuel Rapada