Pritzker-backed project plans ‘modern learning center’ near ETHS

Evanston billionaire Jennifer Pritzker is turning to west Evanston for her latest philanthropic venture.

Officials affiliated with Tawani Enterprises, the Chicago-based investment group led by Pritzker, announced last week the firm has bought the vacant buildings at 1911-7 Church St. and plans to build a “modern learning center that will encourage local students to explore different creative outlets and activities.” Project Beacon, a new company in the Pritzker orbit, will operate the community center, which will be across the street from Evanston Township High School, 1600 Dodge Ave.

The officials said construction is expected to start in the middle of next year after several months of design and program planning.

“We hope to provide an exciting structure that will enhance and stimulate development in the local community,” project manager Mark Lavender said in a news release.

Ald. Delores Holmes (5th), whose ward includes the buildings, said Monday she is waiting to hear more information about the project, though it “sounds exciting.”

“It’s going to be an educational and cultural center,” she said. “That can only be good for our community.”

Pritzker has a history of property development in Chicago and Evanston. City Council has given her permission to create two bed-and-breakfasts near the Evanston lakefront. But Pritzker’s proposal to turn the Harley Clarke Mansion into a boutique hotel met vocal opposition from the lakefront property’s neighbors, leading the council to turn it down this summer.

Patrick Svitek