Women’s Swimming: Northwestern plunges into back-to-back meets

The Wildcats are packing up their suits and goggles for two back-to-back road meets this weekend.

NU will face conference opponents Purdue and Ohio State in West Lafayette, Ind., on Friday. After one night’s rest, the team returns to the pool to battle UIC and Wyoming on Saturday afternoon.

However, freshman backstroker Lacey Locke isn’t fazed by the long weekend ahead.

“The team is going in with a great attitude, and we’re really going to kill it,” she said.

Only two meets into the season, NU already seems to be exceedingly enthusiastic. Locke said the Cats are always the loudest cheerers on the deck.

“If you’re having fun, you’re swimming fast,” Locke said.

The team must give a good showing against the other Big Ten opponents this weekend. Ohio State and Purdue placed fourth and fifth, respectively, at the 2013 Big Ten Championships. Still, coach Jimmy Tierney remains optimistic about the Cats’ chances and said NU looks forward to the challenge.

Tierney expressed excitement to see the outcome of this season, particularly because NU’s squad has already showcased great attitude and talent.

During practice and warm-up preparations, he said he pushes the girls to focus hard on technique and self-awareness. But when it comes to race time this weekend, it is a different story. He believes the Cats really swim better when everything feels intuitive.

“I want to try to get them not to overthink things,” Tierney said.

Freshman Lauren Abruzzo said she follows that advice.

With double the number of races looming this weekend, the long-distance freestyler said she won’t be thinking about how much the consecutive swims will hurt. Giving into the pain early is not an option.

“I will really just try to take it one race at a time,” she said.

Both Abruzzo and Locke said they will put everything they have into their events this weekend so they can swim fast and win points.

“It’s all about the points you score for the team, and who gets their hand on the wall first,” Locke said.

At this weekend’s meets, a split second between who touches first and second might determine which school emerges victorious.

Twitter: @kendra_mayer